Monday, March 1, 2010

The Same Old Archetype

Saturday’s seminar on Greek mythology was my favorite one yet. It was a little easier because we started later than usual around 10 o’clock. Since I have been reading books on Greek mythology the past couple of months this again was a recap of what I have already learned. We basically reviewed from the beginning of the world according to the Greeks to the heroes of Greek mythology.

A significant point to me was the different kinds of literature written on Greek myth like the Odyssey and Iliad. It seemed like those stories went more in depth on the myth than any of the books I have read. It was also interesting to learn the Greek notation of the beginning of the world. We talked about how it all started with Gaia and Chaos and then stemmed on to the Titans and the Olympians. It’s interesting seeing the contrasts from what they believed in and what we believe now. I also noticed how the patterns of the Gods and heroes are just about the same, like how Uranus knew that one of his children would take power from him and the same thing happened with Cronus and Zeus.

My favorite part of the seminar was when we talked about the old archetypes in Greek myth and how they repeat themselves in stories we still hear today. Also how the Shakespearean classic Romeo and Juliet was really similar to Pyramus and Thisbe. I also realized the stories repeated themselves in the bible when I saw that the story of Cain and Abel are strangely similar to the story of Remus and Romulus, Rome’s very own founders. Until this seminar I had never realized how active Greek mythology is in our stories and literature today. The Greeks seemed to be the original writers of these old archetypes.

-Tre’von Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment