Monday, November 22, 2010

The Man Crush


Back in the day the Roman Empire invaded and seized many countries including the equally great Greece. In the process of this invasion they created what Ms.Wanket calls a man crush. On Saturday my counterparts and I attended our last seminar which to me is always the best on Greek Mythology. The reason why the Greek myth seminar is so important to me is because I have an unusual interest in mythology and fantasy. Once again this seminar was review for me so I wanted to make a connection between the myths and real life. Also how the myths pertain to us today. It seems to me that mythology is a simple way of people trying to understand everything around them because the people who worshiped these gods in myths are obviously pre-religion.

One thing that is always significant to me is the simple fact that Greek Mythology is the basis of western civilization. All of the values that we have today are influenced by the Greeks. Just to name a few…

*Trial by Jury

*Tragedy and Comedy

*Building Styles

*The First Alphabet with Vowels

*Olympics

These are thousand year old ideas and we still use these in our everyday lives. Along with the ideas from the Greeks we still reference things from their myths. For example around the Thanksgiving season most people can see a picture of a cornucopia in their local grocery store or on television. Most people don’t know that the king of the gods Zeus was fed from an endless horn of plenty as an infant or what we know as a cornucopia. I think that it is important that when we hear stories of myth and fantasy that we realize the significance behind them and how they connect to today because everyone has a story.

-Tre’von Walker

2 comments:

  1. You already knew everything. That was really fun getting to teach you again, though. You are so great!!

    ReplyDelete