Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Touch of Life

Today I woke up early to attend a seminar with Mrs. Everett, our focus was Roman art. At first I wasn't interested, but as time progressed I started to learn a lot of cool things. For instance, I never knew the difference between a Frescoe and a mosaic, now I do.The Romans had a lot of interesting art that was influenced by the Greeks.

The main thing that opened my eyes and had me amazed was the Sistine Chapel. Most people know that the Sistine Chapel was painted by the wonderful Michalangelo, but they don't know that it took him 4years and 6months to complete it; that's amazing I would have quit after a year.

I find it weird on how everyone seems to remember what Michelangelo painted. They don't know that other painters contributed like Raphael, Bernini and Sandro Botticelli, why don't they get fame as well? Sandro Botticelli created a series of frescoes that was based on the life of Moses. Michelangelo painting was focused on the last judgement.

The reason the Sistine Chapel is so amazing to me is because before Constantine Christianity was banned and Christians often got persecuted, so they did their art in secret. After Christianity was being tolerated a lot of paintings were coming out based on religion which changed the game for art. The Sistine Chapel is the most amazing chapel in the world that is based on Christianity.

The Romans had many other great accomplishments when it comes to architecture. Like the Colosseum,fountains,aquaducts and the Patheon.

I know this has been a long blog and your mouth is dry, so go get some water. As your doing this think of the Romans because they were the first to produce fresh running water for an entire city. Love, Sharqueya Drake.

No comments:

Post a Comment