Friday, February 19, 2010

Rome Right Before My Eyes!

Today started bright and early. I woke up at 8:00 A.M. with Rome on my mind. After a quick stop for breakfast at McDonalds, I rushed to school to be on time for my first seminar. The purpose for this seminar was to learn about the history of Rome. I thought I learned a lot about Rome when I created my time line, but I learned a lot more today. During the seminar I was refreshed about geography and my religion. In Mr. Sullivan’s class, we looked through everyone’s time lines and pointed out the important events. Everyone’s time lines where creative and informational. It was shocking to know that some of the history of Rome was based off of myths and not facts. For example the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus were believed to be raised by a wolf, which isn’t possible.

One thing that impressed today was that slavery existed way before the type of slavery I knew. It was interesting to know that the slavery back then wasn’t based on race or possessions. Any one could become a slave, even if they were once rich because if you were captured in was you were enslaved. It also impressed me that Christians that were persecuted where killed in an entertaining way in Rome’s Colosseum for the entire community to watch in enjoyment.

Lastly, what shocked me was the fact that some Popes couldn’t read. Without them being able to read it allowed them to make things up to their beliefs, which caused corruption. For example, people believed that the good went to heaven and the bad went to hell, but Pope’s had them believe that their was an in between a “waiting room” where God decided for the people who were in between good and bad or hadn’t had the chance to be either. Therefore, the Pope would tell the people that if they would pay money or indulgences it would quicken the time their loved one would have to wait in the between.

The first seminar really informed me with interesting information. I didn’t expect three hours to go by so quickly. The day ended with some blog practice a piece of Ghirardelli chocolate and some interesting videos about the history of Rome being uploaded to my iPod for me to watch in my free time. I’m excited about the next Rome seminar.

--Kaneisha King

1 comment:

  1. Kaneisha,it's great to see you are enjoying the seminars. I am sure you will be excited to hear we have officially added Paris to the Scholarship program. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete