Monday, February 15, 2010

Rome Unveiled

Tre’von Walker

ii/xiii/x

Rome Unveiled

Today I attended Mr. Sullivan’s Rome history seminar. The seminar was really just a recap of Rome history because a lot of it I already knew from the studying I did for the Rome timeline. We learned just about everything from religion to gelato.

The significant things to me were the things I didn’t know already. One of them in particular was the three Punic wars. Mr. Sullivan referred to them as the first Cold Wars. Another thing I found interesting was the fact that the first people in Rome were the Etruscans. He also explained to us that throughout Rome’s history slaves were majority of the population. We also learned about the treatment of slaves and how they had rights which is way different than the slavery that I’m used to learning about.

Another significant part of the class was learning the Roman numeral system because it’s something that I always wanted to learn about. My favorite part of the class was seeing the pictures of the pagan buildings and how they turned into churches. It was interesting because those pagan/church buildings were right next to Egyptian columns which is a complete contradiction.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see the workshops are continuing! I look forward to reading about all the things you guys are learning. Keep up the good work. Petulia

    ReplyDelete