Sunday, February 21, 2010

What Makes Rome Unique

Yesterday’s seminar was overwhelming mainly because I’m not used to waking up that early on Saturdays. It was also overwhelming because until yesterday I had no idea that Rome had that much art. There was so much to cover in so little time that Ms.Everett had divide the power point into three parts. Architecture, sculpture, and paintings and mosaics.

One thing I found interesting was that in all these categories of Roman art they are influenced by Greek art. You can actually see this in the shift from traditional gods to Christianity. We also went over how the Christian art is more symbolic as opposed to the pre-Christian art which is a lot more literal. One part of the seminar I found funny was all of us trying to find how water doesn’t get into the Pantheon when it rains. Ms.Everett also explained how a lot of Roman art is centered on portrait busts and how the Romans made the busts very realistic.

My favorite part of the seminar was when we went over the story of Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel. I personally always thought that the painting was amazing and I couldn’t imagine seeing it in person. It was also interesting seeing how much the Popes were involved in art during the Renaissance. For some reason I found myself glued to a specific part of the Sistine Chapel which was the Fall of Man. I really like the part of the painting where the man is holding a full humans skin I found it very unique.

-Tre’von Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment